Four Heart Attitudes for Giving
By Rick Warren
“You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ‘For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.’” 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NLT)
When it comes to giving, God is much more interested in what’s in your heart than what’s in your wallet. What he really wants is your willingness—not your wealth.
The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 9:7, “You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. ‘For God loves a person who gives cheerfully’” (NLT). This verse offers four key heart attitudes you should have when you give.
1. Give thoughtfully. Don’t give impulsively. The most spiritual kind of giving is when you think about it, pray about it, and then make up your mind about it. God wants your giving to be important and meaningful in your life—so he wants you to plan for it.
2. Give enthusiastically. Don’t just think, “I have to give!” Give because you know God’s going to do something big in your heart when you become a generous person.
3. Give voluntarily. Any time someone pressures you to give, don’t do it. God’s not going to bless that kind of giving anyway. But when you feel God challenging you to give, that’s the time to give generously and voluntarily!
4. Give cheerfully. Give with joy! One of the Greek words for “offering” has the same root as the word “hilarious.” God wants you to enjoy giving to him and to others.
Next time you’re considering whether to give or how much to give, remember that God’s greatest concern is your heart. When you give thoughtfully, enthusiastically, voluntarily, and cheerfully, then you know that’s a gift God will bless!
PLAY today’s audio teaching from Pastor Rick
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Some say the key to the good life is health, others say material wealth—but what does God say?
Find out in Pastor Rick’s dynamic Bible study, The Keys to a Blessed Life. This 6-session video plus workbook study reveals the secret to the abundant life God promises by exploring Jesus’ most well-known sermon, the Sermon on the Mount.
Dive deep into the Beatitudes with Pastor Rick to discover the hopeful and purpose-filled life God has planned for you through messages like . . .
• How God Blesses Broken Hearts
• Your Ministry of Mercy
• How to Reconcile a Relationship
• Handling Opposition to Your Faith
• And more!
The Keys to a Blessed Life is our thanks for your gift below to take the Word of God to a world in need, so ask for your copy when you give today. Thank you!
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.
Getting God's Word into your heart is essential if you want to live a life of integrity and experience God's blessings. Dive into his word with The Keys to a Blessed Life Scripture Cards. You'll discover his blessings as you: Claim God's promises for your life, Walk with integrity in your relationships, and Deepen your relationship with Jesus. This set of 52 artfully designed cards can be used to help you memorize Scripture. You can read each Scripture and then use the space on the back to make notes or write out the verse. You can also use them to minister to others. Give one to a friend and write a personalized note of encouragement on the back. If a Scripture really speaks to you, frame it! Put them in places where you can read them during the day for encouragement.