HAVING A HEART FOR GOD
"The Lord sought out for Himself a man after His own heart, and the Lord has appointed him as ruler over His people." 1 Samuel 13:14
When I was a freshman at the University of Texas, I began to study the Bible. As I did, I fell in love with the stories of David. He was an amazing person – strong, handsome, courageous, wise, tough, and tender. While he possessed so many great attributes, the one thing that really set him apart was his heart. He is the only one in the Bible described as “a man after God’s own heart.”
GOD LOOKS AT THE HEART
When God chose David to be king in Israel, David was just a kid, probably no more than fourteen. His father, Jesse, didn’t even think to invite him to the “anointing feast” because he was so young. Jesse thought to himself, “Certainly, God would not have little David as king.” But, God sees past the outward appearance. He sees down into the heart. And David’s heart was special to God. What was his heart like?
1. He had a passionate heart. David loved God sincerely and supremely. He did not play at his worship. He really had a desire in his heart to walk with God and please God. His heart was completely His (Psalm 103).
2. He had a humble heart. David never lost sight of the fact that he was nothing and God was everything. He never started believing his own press clippings. He knew all his success came from God (2 Samuel 7:18).
3. He had a dependent heart. David depended on God, not himself. He sought God early and often throughout the day (Psalms 63).
4. He had a grateful heart. David gave praise and thanks to God regardless of His circumstances. He knew God was worthy of praise, even if everything in his life seemed to be falling apart (Psalms 34).
5. He had a repentant heart. We all know that David was a great sinner. The story of Bathsheba proves it. But unlike King Saul before him, when David sinned, he confessed his sins to God and turned from them. He repented and got his heart right with the Lord (Psalms 51).
HOW ABOUT YOUR HEART?
How does your heart look to God? Are you moving in the right direction in these all- important heart areas? Do you need some spiritual surgery to get your heart beating for the Lord?
God wants YOU to be a person after His own heart. In order to do it, you must confess any sins and ask Him to soften you and change you on the inside. Spend time with the Lord each day. Talk to Him from your heart. Share your burdens with Him, seek His face, and obey Him. Jesus wants to be your closest friend on the planet … if you will only let Him.
Pastor Jeff Schreve,
From His Heart Ministries
Dr. Jeff Schreve believes that no matter how badly you may have messed up in life, God still loves you and has a wonderful plan just for you. From His Heart provides real truth, love and hope on over 700 radio stations each day, in 182 countries each week on TV, and is always available online. Pastor Jeff takes no income from this ministry. All donations go to furthering the broadcast outreach. As a listener/viewer supported ministry, we thank you for joining with us to help speak the truth in love to a lost and hurting world. Go to www.fromhisheart.org for more information.
The Book of the Revelation can be intimidating, as it is full of prophecy, tribulation and woe. It is also full of hope and encouragement because the King is coming for His own and to rule and reign forever! In this series, Pastor Jeff Schreve takes an in depth look at Revelation, laying out a timeline, explaining the symbolism, encouraging believers, and sending a wake-up call to those who have yet to accept Jesus as their Savior. The King is coming soon, so be watchful and be prepared for his victorious return!